Southampton Way, Camberwell, 1980


North Camberwell was more than a residential district.

As well as timber yards and mineral water factories near the canal was Samuel Jones' gummed paper factory. The firm was established in 1868 and expanded into the premises at the corner of Southampton Way and Peckham Grove in the 1920s.

The firm took as its emblem the Camberwell Beauty butterfly and the ceramic mosaic on the factory building is now outside the old baths building on Wells Way. The building was demolished in 1982.

The houses to the left, Southampton Cottages, date from the first part of the 19th century.