St George's Church, Wells Way, Camberwell, c. 1850


St George's was the first daughter church to St Giles, the ancient church to the vast parish of Camberwell. (Dulwich had a chapel and its own burial ground at an earlier date but not a fully established parish.)

It was established in 1824 and reflected the location and intensity of development, and the increase in population in the area. It was designed by Francis Bedford.

The water is that of the Camberwell branch of the Grand Surrey Canal of 1809. The windmill stood in the vicinity of Dragon Road.

Published in the Gentlemens Magazine Volume XCVII part1.