Dulwich Village, Dulwich, 1890 - 1905
Three photographs of the Village from the same era.
The first is of a postcard view of the Greyhound, which was the pre-eminent inn in Dulwich Village for most of the 19th century and was patronised by important national figures of the day, especially from the literary arena.
Its fortunes declined in the later 19th century and it was bought by the licensee of the Crown opposite in 1895. Both were demolished and the 'Crown and Greyhound' erected on the Crown's site.
The second photograph shows The French Horn Inn, which occupied a central position at the south end of the village and played an equally central role in the area's history.
The inn, previously called The Bricklayer's Arms, was the first meeting place for a newly endowed school of 1741. This endowment has evolved into Dulwich Village Infants' School, Dulwich Hamlet School and James Allen's Girls School.
The inn became The French Horn in 1755 and was used as a coaching inn. It ceased to be an inn in 1814 and the site today is occupied by the house, Rokeby.
The third photograph (above) is a slightly later (c. 1905) postcard of Dulwich Village, also occasionally called its High Street, which formed the commercial heart of the area and still has an above average number of traditional independent shops.
The Crown and Greyhound on the right has been the pre-eminent inn for the whole of the twentieth century.