Goose Green, East Dulwich, c. 1905


Goose Green was once common land, available for the use of the whole community, but in the late 19th century William Bowyer-Smith, the Lord of the Manor at that time, started giving building leases on other common land at Peckham Rye to developers.

The Camberwell Vestry stepped in and bought the manorial right to the land, so retaining it as a public open space.

The church seen in the background is St.John the Evangalist, which was built in 1865.

Published by W.Greening in 'Dulwich Past and Present'.

See historic maps of East Dulwich