Nunhead Cemetery, Nunhead, c. 1855
As the first of these two views so clearly shows, Nunhead Cemetery significantly predated any development around it.
All Saints' Cemetery, as it was known, was opened by the London Cemetery Company in 1840, one of only two large scale private cemeteries in South London.
The cemerery stimulated a small number of businesses, such as stone masons and undertakers.
Print of an engraving by an unknown artist, c.1855 and engraving published by Rock & Co., c.1855.