Horse Tram, St James's Road, Peckham, c. 1912
Horse-trams did more than any other form of transport to stimulate housing growth in inner-south London in the mid and late Victorian period.
The line along St.James's Road and Rotherhithe New Road was laid out between 1879 and 1881 by the Southwark and Deptford Tramways Company.
The cars were called 'ha'penny bumpers'.
The line was taken over by the London County Council in 1900 but never electrified. It ceased running in 1913.
Postcard published by Card House, c.1912.