Lower Road, Rotherhithe, c. 1908
This view neatly summarises two key features of suburban development, work or the lack of it, and transport.
This view shows the junction of Lower Road and Rotherhithe Old Road. Redriff Road is seen in the middle distance on the left.
Many of the men would have worked in the nearby Surrey Docks. The dockers' call on shelter was in Redriffe Road and one of the docks' principal imports, softwood, features prominently on the carts.
In addition to the horse-drawn carts there is a tram with impatient passengers, and the Deptford Road Station, later Surrey Docks.
New Quays Station of the East London Underground Line between Whitechapel and New Cross is seen past the junction on the right.