Peter Hill's School, Rotherhithe, 1826
Before the state provision of education, most schooling was carried out through schools established by endowments administered by the local church or independent trustees.
Rotherhithe's most ancient school is Peter Hill's School founded in 1613. Two 18th century endowments were later merged with it, expanding the provision.
It occupied this building, 20 St Mary Church Street, from 1795.
The plaster figures represent a charity boy and girl.