St Helena Tavern and Tea Gardens, Rotherhithe, 1839


The St Helena Tavern and Tea Gardens was Rotherhithe's chief 'rural' place of entertainment. It opened between c.1770 and 1881, when it fell victim to urban development.

It was on Corbet's Lane, a now extinguished road that ran south of and parallel to the modern Rotherhithe New Road.

When established, the tavern was one of many such attractions, and like its peers it struggled to maintain its respectable qualities in the face of London's expansion.



See historic maps of Rotherhithe