Map of Dulwich, Lewisham, 1842
This section of the Dewhirst map of Camberwell shows the heart of the Dulwich Estate.
Lacking a parish church, the village evolved two centres depending on inclination: the College or the public house, the Greyhound.
The village was the commercial centre but on the main road south, which later became College Road, and on Dulwich Common are large detached houses.
Prominent is Belair with its extensive grounds and fishpond.
Click on the map above for an enlarged image or click here for a larger, readable image (slow download).
Map of the parish of St.Giles, Camberwell, delineating its ecclesiastical and parochial details. Drawn by J Dewhirst, surveyor, and published by W Wheeler, 1842.